Friday 28 January 2011

The Long Weekend...

Saturday dawned early... too damn early for my taste. As is usual on rainy windy nights we had had a fairly sleep free night. I was out of bed at 6:30am, and Chris had fled the domicile for his wild bacchanalia... also known as Matt's stag do. And what was this event? Caving, abseiling and blackwater rafting.... ah those boys :)

Ruth was coming around Saturday so I set to in the laundry and kitchen. Boys were fed, played with and then laundry and dishes were washed. C fell asleep so I really got moving :) I strained the marscapone and made the pastry for the quiche - yummy roasted garlic and caramelised onion pastry. Then I threw the mascarpone whey, an egg and some cheese and bacon into the pastry shell and voila - perfection! C awoke and the boys played in the tent I had dragged inside, and popped a mink blanket inside. Ruth arrived at lunchtime, just after my pie/quiche came out of the oven - perfect timing. K had a ball playing with Finn once he woke up from his nap. C didn't nap at all - too exciting! After Ruth left I took the boys up to the library in the stroller and they enjoyed themselves. C fell asleep 2 minutes into the walk - booya!! The wild wet weather predicted failed to materialise and it was warm and blustery. As Chris still wasn't home I got the corn bread, roast chicken and steamed pudding on, entertained the boys and fed them dinner before a quick bath and bed. K went down like a dream, C like a nightmare. It was 9:40 before he finally went down for night (night? ha! as if!!) and I collapsed into bed at the same time. C doesn't know it but sleep training will be starting in a couple of days! Gradual withdrawal method I think! Apparently Chris arrived home around 11ish having left the house at 6:15am..... Hmmm! Anyway this morning he made a real effort not to refer to his water inflamed sinuses or the creaking muscles from 6 hours of caving - good thing too!! We headed out to Pukekohe to get a feel for the town and to walk through the open home....of the Dream House. Well, obviously if we won lotto it wouldn't be our dream house but for a potential first house it's pretty dreamy. I like Puke, it's got a really nice feel to it, even if it could be called the city of roundabouts lol. We had a look at the other (much cheaper) houses we'd shortlisted. Boy, 2 minutes drive made a huge diff in terms of neighbourhood appeal!! So those houses got crossed off the list. We hope that Chris can get a job in Akl and that the Puke house dream will rise again, phoenixlike.... but we'll just have to wait and see. This evening I looked around the disaster of my lounge and pondered on the thought that Chris being home sure does generate mess! Alone with the boys yesterday I cooked, cleaned, played and tidied and before the boys were in bed the house looked ok. Tonight... oy vey!! I think I must just slack off, and then everything goes downhill fast! Chris cooked a fab risotto for dinner tonight - yum! Chris is being landed with the boys tomorrow as I urgently need to type 2 sets of minutes and work on a database! Oh, yay!! And... that's our long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment