Monday 3 August 2009

It's better to give

... than to receive. This is the mantra that Kieran lives his life by. Over the last few weeks Kieran has determined that I have a horrifying lack of presents in my life, and has set about to rectify this with verve and enthusiasm! As I am bustling about in the kitchen after feeding a wriggleweasel I feel a tugging on my dressing gown. This used to mean "Mum, mum, turn around and pick me up, mum, mum, quick! Pick me up NOW!" This forceful tugging now means "Mother dearest, should you choose to cast your eyes towards the floor you will see a small sprig of chivalry, hopefully holding out a gift to tempt even the jaded palates of the gods" (if the gods favour bakeware and plastic food anyway). I accept the gift with ecstatic cries of joy and shower little lord fauntleroy with compliments about his good sharing, profusely thanking him for his gift. I then try to gift it back to him. With a twinkle in his eye reminisent of St Nick on Christmas Eve he bustles off towards the toy box/pantry/bookshelf to search out a new and appropriately wonderful gift. What a little sweetheart :)
Headed off to Mainly Music today. I was stressed cos I looked at my watch after a last minute nappy change and saw that it was 9:40am. This was bad as I had planned to leave at 9:15 so K could play with toys and get used to the venue/people. As I hit Summerlands drive I saw Rachel's car directly in front of me. Too cool :) The session was alright - except for the human limpet clamped to my torso. Partway through the session a huge sack of teddybears was brought out for a song, causing the limpet to uncurl and take an interest in the session. I sensed trouble but was helpless to prevent the disaster I looming ahead. Sure enough, despite the organiser's pleas for the children to have "just ONE teddy" I amassed 12 teddy's next to me. Beaming with pride K bustled off to dig about in the sack for a stuffed toy which was carried ceremoniously across the floor (again, and again, and again...) to where I cowered against the back wall, ready to receive my bounty. He was so thrilled with himself. My usual Mainly Music session is better. It is a toy library so it has better and more toys, the space is much much larger and there are more people - oh, and it is cheaper too! Always a bonus. We headed home and I let K bustle about while I got his bottle prepped and changed his nappy since he had been making tired noises. Tired noises my rear end! I popped him into the cot at 11:45am... he fell asleep at 1:33... and woke up at 3:50 - destroying my afternoon plans of a walk up to the library and playground. Instead, I spread towels across the floor and let him run around buck naked to air the nappy rash- still nasty and painful, but there are now patches of healed skin - booya! Tomorrow I am heading off to Oratia playgroup so hopefully we have another gorgeous sunny day like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment