Tuesday 19 June 2012

Exam exhaustion

Wow, it's been a hard week! We headed out to stardome last sunday to check out the voyage to Earth. We took two excited little boys in, dashed around the stardome then headed in for the film. And that's when IT happened. One child quivered like a leaf when the lights went low and the black vastness of space appeared above us. Said child huddled on my lap hands over face for most of the session while his brother shouted "Nepnoo!", Mars! and Earth! as they came along. Apparently Kieran really enjoyed the show! What else did we do last week? Let's see, I studied a lot, the boys played up, a lot. I am sure there's a link there lol. We went to many playgrounds, many, many playgrounds lol and cavorted mightily in all - can you tell the weather was good? On friday I took the car into New Lynn for it's WOF. While it WOF'd we headed into the mall and discovered the playground has been removed. Fabulous. So we walked around and looked in stalls and found space slippers in a shoe shop that we admired, and did not buy :) Upon returning to the car we found it had failed the WOF due a broken engine mount. Naturally I was delighted by the news of this expensive repair, and drove it home heart in mounth each time the road was bumpy or I had to brake suddenly. And of course it meant having to ring up the trusty mechanic and book the car in for Monday. The day of my exam. Woot. To cheer myself up I decided to bake a chocolate and coconut slice for the boys. They were very excited, Cameron in particular was so excited he twisted the oven dial from a perfect 180 degrees to a massive 230 degrees. There followed a scene of much excitement as I pulled the charred object out, swore mightily under my breath, dialled down the temp, swathed it in tinfoil and put it back in to finish baking. Eyes aglisten the boys watched like hopeful meercats as I scraped the char off the top, bottom and sides once it was cooked - and pronounced it delicious. I should serve them charcoal for dinner rather than expending my effort on culinary triumphs obviously lol. We have watched many, many hours of Mr Moon and Space. Lots and lots of space. Sigh. I wrote up the letters from Space which arrived on Saturday and aroused such a ferment of excitement that we were impelled to watch MORE space, and read the letters aloud many, many times. The next one will arrive sometime this week. I have a suspicion Chris won't post it on a friday but will aim for a midweek delivery so he doesn't have to endure 40 minutes of letter discussion, space dances, really bad space jokes, and hysterical cavorting. Sunday was spent in a ferment, with the boys boiling around the house and Chris looking wild eyes and desperate at the thought of yet another day looking after them lol. I meanwhile immersed myself in Medieval times, learning about pilgrimages, crusades and the mad mystic Margery Kempe aka the weepin' creature. On Monday we were awoken by Cameron's howls at 5am. Poor love is sick. I managed to fall down the last 2 steps onto the tiles as it was dark (see 5am!) and I was still half asleep. Once the bottle was sorted C snoozed again and I studied some more before hiking off at 6:30am to catch the train, and then the bus which should have delivered me to Massey 30 minutes before my exam at 9:15am. I like to approach exams with a zen like calm. A calm I did not feel as I pelted from the bus stop Masseywards at 9:13am. Yup, bus was late, very late. However the exam is now over and I made my slow/wet/cold way home, getting in at 2:30pm to seeing Chris waving a Massey folder for semester 2 at me. Jeez, there is such a thing as being too proactive! Now I can't wallow in various entertainments but have to decide whether to start work on the folder. And I kind of have to as I am doing 3 papers this semester. What *was* I thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment